Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Salmon Quinoa Casserole

I based this recipe on one for tuna casserole. I love casseroles, but there's always all kinds of things in them that I'm not supposed to like. Still, they're such nice warm comfort food.

Lately I've been trying to find some new recipes to add to my repertoire, and as always, I'm looking to keep us eating fish regularly. Salmon can get mighty pricey though, so I occasionally buy the canned salmon at Costco, and I usually end up making sandwiches out of it. But I wondered if I could make a low-carb tuna casserole.

Umm, I can. I really can. It's not low fat, but it's low carb, and it was a hit. We have a new regular meal in rotation, folks.



You will need:
1 1/4 cup quinoa
3/4 cup sour cream
1 cup plain yogurt
3 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or similar)
1/2 cup parmesan
2 tablespoons butter
18 ounces (3 cans) canned salmon (or tuna)
2 cups frozen peas
2 cups chopped vegetables*
Salt and pepper, to taste (I also threw in a little garlic powder)

Preheat your oven to 425.

In a medium bowl, mix the sour cream, yogurt, mustard, shredded cheese, and about half of the Parmesan cheese together. Add the drained salmon, and (uncooked!) quinoa and mix well. Finally add the vegetables, and melted butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Pour the mixture into an 8x8x2 or similarly sized baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan.

Bake for about 30 minutes.

Devour.

*I used TJ's broccoli slaw which is what I happened to have on hand. It worked well, but celery and green onions would have been fantastic in addition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I serve up plenty of fresh snark here to go around. If I don't like the tone of your comment I'll delete it. There's only one cook in this kitchen.