Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Chili

Everyone knows how to make chili, right? Except me. I really didn't.

My dad likes to cook and participates in these chili cook-offs at work, but it seemed like such a process. And why learn the process when chili comes in a can?

And then I became a SAHM, and in searching for frugal, filling, easy, and healthy dinner options, I came across Katie's Chili at Kitchen Stewardship. She mentions that she's adapted her recipe to make it a bit healthier than regular chili, but since I never knew how to make that, I have no clue what's missing.

I made it the exact way she describes a few times, and then, as she mentions at the end, I started adding healthier "upgrades."

My most recent iteration is as follows:

You will need:
1lb stew beef
1 1/2 cups dried pinto beans
3/4 cup dried kidney beans
1/2 cup dried black beans if the mood strikes
6-8 cups homemade stock (optional--I suppose you could also use store bought stock, but I just use water if I'm out of stock)
1 can tomato paste
15-oz. can diced tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1/4-1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
3 Tbs chili powder

This recipe doesn't require a lot of work, but if you're using dry beans you do have to plan ahead. The night before I measure the beans into a large bowl and then fill the bowl with water about an inch over the "bean line" and stick it in the fridge to soak overnight.

The next morning I drain the water from the beans, rinse them, and put them in the crock pot with the stock (or equivalent amount of water). I turn it on low and let it go until lunchtime. At lunchtime (or 4 to 5 hours later) I come back and add in everything else, stir it all together, and then that's it...I let it cook until dinner.

I usually serve it with cheese, and if we're having company I try to have tortilla chips on hand. It's a big hearty meal and leftovers can be frozen, which is nice.

Generally it's a nice fall or winter dish, but it's currently a spring time dish for our family since beans have iron (as does the stew beef) and they apparently don't wreak havoc on blood sugar levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I serve up plenty of fresh snark here to go around. If I don't like the tone of your comment I'll delete it. There's only one cook in this kitchen.