Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mini Frittatas

I am a zombie in the mornings. Being caffeine free during this pregnancy (and, of course, being pregnant) hasn't helped matters. So making the fam a healthy breakfast is always a challenge. I stumble bleary eyed into the kitchen and whine a little as I'm getting everything ready.

And then I remembered that years ago when I was doing South Beach, they recommended these little crustless quiches. And even as a single woman I appreciated the ease of premaking these babies and grabbing a few on my way to the office where I'd eat them at my desk because that was like, five extra minutes of sleep.

This is why I have this blog. It's so easy to get a bit tired of a really good recipe and then forget about it completely.

Tons of people make these and they call them egg bites, egg muffins, mini frittatas, crustless mini quiche...

I loosely based mine on these Mini Spinach Frittatas at Sugar Laws.

This recipe makes two dozen muffin cup sized frittatas (you can freeze extras).

9 eggs
10 oz frozen spinach (approximately)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 tablespoons dried onions (yeah, I was feeling lazy)
Salt
Butter/Coconut oil

Preheat oven to 375.

I fried the frozen spinach in a pan (you can use butter or expeller pressed coconut oil) along with the dried onion, salt, and garlic. In the meantime, I also beat together the 9 eggs in a bowl. When the spinach was suitably thawed, I combined the eggs and the spinach mixture and then added in the parmesan and mixed well. I then spooned enough of the mixture into each muffin spot to fill three quarters (I also use paper muffin cups). Bake for 30 minutes.

I usually have two in the morning. This morning Gus had eight. Growth spurt?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I serve up plenty of fresh snark here to go around. If I don't like the tone of your comment I'll delete it. There's only one cook in this kitchen.