Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

Apple Zucchini Almond Meal Pancakes

We eat eggs for breakfast almost every day, but on the weekends, I like to cut loose and make something a little fancier. I’ve been using this basic almond meal pancake recipe for the last year, and when I follow the instructions (something I’m not always good about doing), they come out great. Adam was shocked how much they tasted like regular pancakes.

I used to use Stevia as my sweetener, then honey, but often I just skip the sweetener entirely. I’ve also experimented a bit with adding different fruits to the mix (since I try replace other sweeteners with fruit as often as I can).

Last w I decided to add some grated apple and cinnamon since it was a rainy morning that finally felt like fall. There was some zucchini on my cutting board, so on a whim, I decided to grate a bit of that too. Like zucchini bread, right?

(One of my college roommates always kept zucchini on hand to grate and add to pretty much anything. It’s a lovely, inexpensive and neutral-tasting vegetable that stretches meals without adding a lot of calories.)

These smelled so good that Adam and Agustin came wandering in from the next room, Agustin signing “food, food,” to see what was cooking.

RHH Almond Meal Pancakes
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 T coconut oil (plus extra for greasing the pan)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup fruit of your choice (bananas, apples, etc.)
  • Optional: 1/4 cup coconut flour if you’re adding fruits/vegs with higher water content

Combine all ingredients in bowl. If you’re using coconut oil and it’s cold out, take extra care to get all of your coconut oil mushed in (CO is solid at cooler temps).

Cook in a pan or griddle just as you would with standard pancakes.

Keep your pan at a lower heat because these do take a little longer to cook through, I find, and keep an eye on how brown they’re getting (they won’t bubble like normal pancakes; you just have to keep checking them).

This has to be the worst “end product” picture in history. These pancakes do crumble more easily than standard pancakes, but if you handle them just a little carefully, they’ll hold their shape. I am just incapable of handling anything carefully. They were quite yummy though. Agustin and I had ours with just butter on top, and Adam had butter and honey on his since we were out of maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I serve up plenty of fresh snark here to go around. If I don't like the tone of your comment I'll delete it. There's only one cook in this kitchen.