Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Stock

At least once a week I make a whole chicken and use the bones for stock.

I make it exactly as described here, but I do it in the crockpot like she says she used to do it.

Raw chicken. You are welcome.

Homemade stock tastes better than store bought, and I know what's in it. I've heard that you end up with more nutrients in homemade too. Hard to know for sure if that's true--I'm sure it varies. I heard it's high in calcium in particular, which is why I started making lots when I was off dairy, but if you try to confirm that in a Google search you mostly find other people trying to find out if it really is a good source of calcium. It seems like it would make sense since there's calcium in bones, but what do I know.

Broth (which I also use a lot of), chicken meat, and bones/fat/meat for stock.

Anyway, I continue to make it so that I always have some on hand since it's the base of many of my meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I serve up plenty of fresh snark here to go around. If I don't like the tone of your comment I'll delete it. There's only one cook in this kitchen.