Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Wanna-Be Green Smoothies

Several weeks ago at the farmer’s market, I visited my greens vendor just before the market closed. I picked up a bunch of chard and he told me I could have two for that price—but the way he said it, I had a feeling people had been refusing this deal. After all, how much chard can you eat? When I readily accepted, he asked me what I did with it.

Well, I’ll tell you what I do with it.

I drink it. And so does the possum (who happened to be drinking it at the moment of that transaction).


Wanna-Be Green Smoothies
You will need:
1 banana
1 cup plain yogurt
¾ cup frozen fruit
½ cup of a liquid*
As many greens as you can stand**

Put in blender. Blend. They won’t actually turn green if you’re using fruit that has color; hence the “Wanna-Be.”


Actually, there is a little more background work that I do. I buy at least one bunch of greens each week, and the day I bring it home, I steam it.
I let it cool off in the pot, and then I just press it into an ice cube tray and freeze it (the tray I use has a cover). Then I pop 3-4 cubes into our smoothie.


Obviously green smoothies aren’t an original idea, but they were one that I’d forgotten about before. Also, when you try to find green smoothie recipes on the internet, a surprising number of people want to sell you their green smoothie books. I got annoyed and just started throwing whatever vegetables I had around into my smoothies. There are fancier ways to make them, particularly if you want to cut out some of the fruit, but I say bah, including any greens someplace where you otherwise wouldn’t, and making a habit of it is a good start. I plan on experimenting with upping the veggie to fruit ratio, and you’ll be the first to hear about it.

In the meantime, I’ve successfully enticed my greens-hating niece into drinking these (“What’s in it, Auntie?” “A banana.”), and Agustin chugs them.

*I used to use orange juice. Then I started experimenting with other juices like pure cranberry and prune. I’ve also used carrot juice. Since I give them to the possum these days, I use whole milk, which makes them a little more milkshake like. I prefer juice, but I appreciate the lower sugar level.

**I usually use kale, collard greens, chard and sometimes spinach in a pinch. The first three I use the most because they’re supposed to be really good for you, but I haven’t yet discovered any way I enjoy eating them, so this is how I get them down the hatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I serve up plenty of fresh snark here to go around. If I don't like the tone of your comment I'll delete it. There's only one cook in this kitchen.